In an effort to make the search for a Personal Attendant/ Caregiver easier, view the Caregiver Registry. This registry allows consumers to search for prospective caregivers. If you are a prospective Caregiver and would like to add yourself to the registry, please complete the Add a Caregiver form and submit your information.
A non-profit founded in 1989, ASM has been helping Maine people directly hire the personal care attendants of their choice for more than three decades.
Fiscal Intermediary Services
ASM’s fiscal intermediary services enable individuals to easily hire and employ their own care attendants by handling all required employer and employee paperwork, time tracking, payroll, tax filings, and workers’ compensation insurance.
What is Self-Direction?
Self-direction helps people of all ages, with all types of disabilities, maintain their independence at home and in the community by choosing the mix of services and supports that work best for them. Self-direction is built on the belief that the individuals receiving the services and supports know their needs best and are in the best position to plan and manage their own services.
Self-direction Improves Lives
“Among a representative group of AARP members over the age of 50, 75% preferred managing services for themselves over receiving care from an agency.”
-AARP Public Policy Institute
“I sleep much better. I feel much better. You know, my biggest fear is to be stuck in bed and waste my life away … I want to get out and … get back into society and do lots of things.”
“It allows you to take control of your own life again … I am disabling my disability and enabling myself.”
“I feel happier and I have a better life … because I can direct and manage my personal care.”
What is the Enrollment Process?
- ASM will send a consumer service representative to the consumer’s home to assist the consumer in completing all enrollment documents and employer/employee hiring documents for proposed personal care attendants.
- ASM then conducts the Maine required background check and in addition checks all additional registries required by CMS for the proposed attendant(s).
- If/when the attendant/employee passes the background checks, ASM will contact the consumer to advise the employee’s start date.
- Within 21 days of the employee start date, the consumer must determine the employee’s competency to perform the requested care attendant services for this consumer and provide ASM with a certificate of competency. If the consumer cannot or does not certify competency, the attendant may no longer provide services.
How does timesheet completion work?
ASM provides individuals the choice of using a mobile application or a telephone call-in for timesheet completion. These options comply with the newly required Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) system for personal attendant visits. ASM will help consumers find the right device and learn how to use it to maximize consumer choice, control, and independent living.
For Home Based Care programs, ASM will use paper timesheets and will also have an electronic timesheet option available.
ASM will help consumers find the right device and learn how to use it to maximize consumer choice, control, and independent living.
What is EVV?
Maine implemented a Federal rule requiring “electronic visit verification” (EVV) of home healthcare visits. ASM can help you navigate the requirements and will offer all available options, including:
1) Electronic Device: Use a mobile application on a smart phone, tablet, or computer. The application is ADA compliant and is accessible to all disabilities.
2) Telephone: Simply call in to verify the beginning and end of visits.